Event Phone: 2692451526
March 8, 2021
8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
This pool session will run at the Portage YMCA from 8-10pm. Monday Evening March 8. The sessions are limited to a max of 10 people, so if you intend to come, you MUST register ahead of time.
2900 W Centre Ave, Portage, MI 49024
The pool door is here on the south west corner of the building. Please clean your kayak and ensure it is debris free.
1. We are limiting the sessions to a maximum of 10 due to Covid-19 which we are going to take with deadly seriousness. Also, we no longer have the luxury Gabel Natatorium Olympic pool. So white water boats are preferred, but a few sea kayaks are fine. Message me ahead of time if you want/need to bring a sea boat to make sure.
2. We need at least 6 to make this cost effective and NOT canceled. We will make the call on saturdays do determine if the session is canceled.
3. Following on from point 1. If you are sick. Stay home for 2 weeks. If you have ANY symptoms DO NOT come. If you have are in contact with anyone who has had symptoms, do not come.
4. When you are not in the water at the pool, a mask is required at all times. Yes, this means literally putting a mask at the pool side with your dry gear the moment you get out, and it means loading, unloading, dressing, undressing. etc. At any point where there is a potential for infection where you are not in the water, a mask is required. I figure it is easier to be very specific and have no one get sick, than not spell it out and have new infections. This does not preclude anyone who has already tested positive for the virus. So simply put, masks apply to everyone.
5. Social distancing will be required. 6 feet minimum, (roughly the size of one playboat away). We will have a mandatory safety session at the beginning of each session to cover wet exits. We will ensure everyone knows how to wet exit. Once you’ve passed the mandatory wet exit drill, the group will assume responsibility for rescues only in emergencies. So the sessions will be ALL self-guided with no physical contact. I understand that this is a bit of a bummer, but peer coaching with physical contact will be grounds for expulsion. (e.g. I am trying to teach my buddy how to handroll while holding his hands while I am not in my boat, is a no go. )
6. We are trying to build a relationship with the YMCA. Anything they ask us to do, we should probably do. Let me manage any friction. If something seems dumb, wrong, hard, or rude, oblige and please let me deal with them. Clean your boats like you mean it. We are not predicting any problems, but we do not want to wear out our welcome.